Friday, August 31, 2007

I have come to seduce you, Edna St. Vincent Millay


How did I miss so many blog entries from while I was gone? I thought I'd read them all when I got back in town, but looking through the list I noticed Adrienne's great and really helpful long note on Bellow, Evan's work on Pooley-Wah, and so on. I'm a bit slow.

About The Emperor Jones, I think I'm going to go see the Wooster Group's version of it in the Philly Fringe Fest next week and will report back if I do.



There's also a play called Gatz on -- have you all heard of this? Apparently it's 7.5 hours long (you get a meal at intermission) and involves a full reading of The Great Gatsby, with stage actions playing off the text in various ways. I kinda want to do this for the sheer Andy Kaufmanness, and cause it'll save me re-reading Gatsby. Couldn't there be a few more such plays? -- I'd gladly attend a 43 hour Invisible Man performance. Bloomsday people seem to get sloppily through Ulysses every year. I just want to be the audience to the rest of my generals list.